Thursday, March 6, 2008

This is for you, Uncle Charlie

I missed you before I got the call. When dad called me on Tuesday night and blurted the news that you were gone all I could think of was how thankful I was for the past few months between us. We had such a good time just talking about "stuff". Sometimes we would talk for so long that I wanted to keep it a secret from dad because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. I just had so much fun. Even through my tears as I write, I am able to spontaneously laugh about how hard we laughed a few weeks ago about *******. Silly, I know, but it was so incredibly funny.

Contrary to what some may have thought of you, I think you were an incredible man. I wish everyone knew the side of you that I did. You had incredible strength inside of you, both physically and mentally. Hey, not everyone gets to brag about the fact that their blood has the strength of an Olympic swimmer or the intelligence to speak 3 languages fluently. Didn't you swim next to Mark Spitz in the 70's? Actually, I know you did. What a privilege it must have been. Your knowledge of history is somehow more impressive then the BS you have in physics, but your ability to read others was a talent greater then your strength and knowledge combined.

You are my blood. You understood me. I was just telling you the other night how hard it is for me to no not self sabotage my efforts when I get so close to finishing something. I was being so hard on myself and you put me back into reality. You told me how important it is to not let my intelligence scare me. (Intelligence? what?). You actually know I know better. I am smart and I will finish school. It was encouraging to hear that I'm not alone on being scared of myself though. Oh how I wish you had understood yourself more before you got into so much trouble.

You always got me because we are so much alike. Rebels by nature and obsequious almost to a fault. You said you mother was that way too. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all. It is amazing how we are so much alike yet we are so incredibly different. You said it was because of how amazing my mother is and how she did so right by us. I couldn't agree more!

Remember telling me about how much fun it was when all of us would stay with you. You had to promise to have us dressed and at church on time but it wasn't too hard. You had Rachael there to help you. You were always impressed with how much of a leader she was; down to earth, smart as a whip, and such a good leader. You never doubted she would grow up to be anything other then a doctor. Ryan, such a good brother. He could take all of us girls down at once yet when we would gang up on him he wouldn't even flinch. You knew he was going to grow up to be such a good husband and father. It takes a real man to hold back his own strength. You loved his wife Lisa too. Always praising her for being such a good wife to your nephew. Lori, you always saw as responsible and practical. You said she was a good sister for me to have so close because she keeps me in check. (I definitely agree). No hard feelings at all when you say you always thought of Francie as the prettiest. You remembered her as always having the most adorable face and the happiest spirit. She was always smiling and clueless of anything less then positive. Finally, you mentioned how much you missed of Francie and Natalie because they were the youngest. You just loved how much fun Natalie was. You felt like a kid all over again every time you saw her. You two were so hilarious at the restaurant we went to in the city when we came through to visit. She still thinks of you as being such a FUN uncle.

Because I know that your time was limited with us, I wasn't as initially shocked as I thought I should be. I thought I would have had more of a warning. The first thing I said to my dad when he called was "Dad, at least he didn't die of AIDS". To most people, that may seem odd. If you were here, you would have been proud of me. We all knew you have been living with AIDS for a long time. The worst part of the whole disease is the fact that the people you meant the most to, would have to watch you die. You wouldn't give into the disease though. You had such a zest for life that even a disease as powerful as yours couldn't win. Your doctors were so impressed with you too. As tragic as your death was/is, I am grateful that you didn't have to loose the battle. Even in death, you survived.

I will miss you more then anyone can possibly understand. You have been a window into my heritage and the information that you have shared with me is a treasure.

Less then a week before you died we talked about life and death. You said God must have a good reason for you to still be here with us. It was then that I told you that God is so generous that He gives us the opportunity to decide whether we will accept His gift of eternal life. I said He must be waiting for an answer from you. I truely believe your decision was made before the 4 days later when you were killed. I trust God and know that He respects our decisions. He was waiting for you Uncle Charlie. That's why you were still alive.


*Charlie died on March 3, 2008. He was inside his home with his beloved dog Baby when his house burnt to the ground.

9 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Shannon,

I don't know you, nor did I know your uncle, but what a loving tribute you wrote to him. It's easy to see the love you had for him and what an influence he had on your lives. He was on the US Olympic swim team with Mark Spitz. I would have seen him comptete on TV as I watched those races.

Tina (MY daughter is the friend Rachel made when she and Katya were in Moscow the few days a year ago.)

Shannon said...

My uncle competed as an olympic hopeful with Spitz. He didn't make it to the olympics, but he was still good enough to compete against him.

Natalie said...

I have really fond memories of Uncle Charlie. Remember he was going to tell us where Annie Oakley hid all that money? Now we will just have to hope he told Tom or Aunt Mone. His dieing reminds me of when Grandpa Chuck died, it's all very sad. I miss them both. Your tribute made me very sad.

Tina in CT said...

Why would Uncle Charlie know where Annie Oakley hid her money?

That is amazing that he competed against Mark Spitz. He must have been some athlete. What were his swimming strokes that he competed in?

Shannon said...

Somewhere along the way, it is said that we are related to Bell Star, Annie Oakley's accomplice. I think Lori is confused about it and it was really Bell Star that hid the money on Granny's property. That is if it is a true story. ha.

Tina in CT said...

Wow! If he, or anyone else in your family, knew where the money was hidden, why wouldn't they have retrieved it years ago? I sure would not have left it hidden.

Interesting!

Hope you are feeling a tad better.

Blog about Charlie.

Rachael said...

That was a very sweet tribute. I'm glad you got the chance to know him again, better this time, recently. I have a lot of great memories of him too. He was definitely the "fun" uncle to a T!

(He doesn't have a degree in physics, though. His BS was in German and Philosophy.)

Cecelia said...

I remember going to Charlie's swim meets with his mom. I can't remember for sure, but I think he competed in the breast stroke or it might have been the butterfly. He was always really sweet to me. When I was expecting Rachael, we only had one car, so Charlie took me to my doctor's appointments. And when I went to the hospital, Charlie was there in the hall with his friend, John, having wheel chair races up and down the halls of the hospital maternity ward. When he was in Texas in college, he found an old upright piano, and knowing how much I wanted a piano, he loaded it in his pick-up and brought it to me in Okla City one weekend. Then I remember when I was home alone with the kids at night and there had been someone in the house and I called the police. I was so scared and I called Charlie around 2 a.m. and he came out and slept on the couch for several nights with his pistol under his pillow. Camping, boating, and skiing were always fun times together. When Francie was only two weeks old, we all went on a long weekend camping trip. We pulled the boat with our truck and I can't believe that we had all five of you kids in the truck too! When we were out in the boat, Charlie and your dad would get out in the water and one by one you kids jumped into the water or were thrown over board to swim around in the lake. I never worried about you kids in the water when Charlie was around. He even took Francie (2 weeks old) and let her splash in the lake water. He said you couldn't start too young. And all six of my children are good swimmers with Rachael, Francie, and Natalie having their life-guard certification. This trip to the lake also reminds of when Charlie took our truck to load the boat and forgot to set the emergency brake and while he was loading the boat, the truck rolled into the lake. It was a momentus event!

Tina in CT said...

Charlie must have been quite a man and one who loved to have a good time. I agree with his theory about starting early with the water. I had my daughter in the pool in CA around a month and a half or two months old. I started her with infant swimming lessons at the Y way before her first birthday. She was always a good swimmer which was important as we lived at the CT shore summers.

It sounds like there are many, many happy memories of Uncle Charlie. His passing is a loss for your family.