Monday, March 10, 2008

COOPER

I have been putting off this post since Wednesday because I can't figure out how get my pictures to the desk top from the camera.

We have a new dog in our family! His name is Cooper and until our vet check today, we thought he was some hound mix mutt.

About a month ago I talked to Andy about getting a dog. An older dog, because I'm not so sure I have the energy or desire, for a puppy. I just wanted to have a dog that wanted to be lazy, and love us. For a while there I thought I was going to have to check the weekly obituaries in hopes of finding a recently orphaned one.

Well, I found Cooper, formerly called Buddy but officially named Andy. Funny, isn't it? I didn't know the shelter had named him Andy until after I had dicided to consider him. When I called Andy and told him about the perfect dog he seemed sceptical that I could find a perfect one in such a short time. Maybe he thought I was settling, or something? Then I told him I knew it was the one because of his name.

Two weeks later I took Madeline to see this dog. They took to each other really well and Madeline, although reserved, was very excited that we might bring him home.

About another week and Andy called to tell me he thought I should go and get the dog. He wanted us to have him.

We went that day and instead of turning in the paperwork and planning on another visit, the dog somehow ended up in our car and was officially ours. We call him Cooper.

He is such a good boy. I have yet to hear him bark. No messes when I leave him home alone in the house and I even leave the garbage can in the kitchen. I called my mom and told her he was so good I thought maybe he might be sick. He sleeps the whole night on a rug next to Madeline's bed, lets her walk him without a fight and is really sweet.

Okay, so I took him for his first vet check today because I noticed he wasn't feeling good on Saturday. He wouldn't eat, he could barely get up the stairs and he caughed so hard I thought he had asthma.

At the vet, I found out that he has bronchitis. I also found out that he is a pure bread American walker foxhound. Who knew? I thought he was a beagle mix. Kinda weird to see a 64lb beagle. Hey, anything can happen whith dogs these days. He sure has the face and markings of one though.

So, now I have a dog that can run for hours without tiring. (Running buddy?) The internet said they were originally bred for running with horses while hunting.

Cooper definately belonged to someone who spent time working with him. He is about 5 years old. He must have wondered off on a scent during hunting season and his owner couldn't find him. Lucky us!

I hope to have pictures up soon. If you can't wait, just google "foxhound" and they should have a good picture there. Cooper is tricolored.

Is spell check working these days? It said I spelt everything correctly the first time through. hmmh.

9 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I just checked out Cooper on google. What a beautiful dog. You hit the jackpot like with your washer. You were lucky that he was at the pound so long. What a nice pet for your family. I am sure he is so happy to have a home and be loved. With his being a hound, I'm surprised he doesn't bark as Beagles and Dachshunds sure do.

Shannon said...

Tina,
The animal shelter said that an older dog like Cooper rarely gets adopted because most people want puppies.

I think he was trained to not bark or make bay noises by his former owner. Someone definately spent time training him. I bet they really miss him.

Rachael said...

kind of nice to have had someone else do the training!

Tina in CT said...

I got my Doxie from her original owner and she is a barker and hence a good watchdog. But, when I'm at work and my daughter and the girls are visiting, my daughter said that she barks all day long.

Now if only she wouldn't "go" in the house. It's an attitude thing with her as she can go for long periods of time when she's confined to the kitchen when I'm at work.

Glad that Cooper is such a great pet.

Natalie said...

Thats exactly what Im doing if I ever get another big dog! Forget potty training and chewing and pooping EVERYWHERE! Walter is a great dog, but the hardest dog I have ever had to train. So what does Cooper do when someone knocks on the door or rings the door bell? I can't wait to see a picture of him!

Lori said...

Can't wait to see some pictures. You are lucky that he is so good, hopefully it isn't a honeymoon phase.
Spell check isn't working, you had a few typo's but I'm sure nobody noticed.

Shannon said...

a good web site to see a very close image of our dog can be found at www.justdogbreed.com the American foxhound picture looks almost identicle to Cooper. If you click on the picture, it will give you a discription of what type of dog he is. However, Cooper is older, so he is not hyper at all.
let me know if anyone looks it up.

junglemama said...

Yes spell check is up and running. Yeah!!!! Just mispell a word on purpose to test it. ;)

Natalie said...

no special easter blog?