Sunday, March 23, 2008

Just got back from visiting my Dad in Oklahoma.



Other then the nice greeting from Barbra, the visit was good. It went by very fast and I wish I had done a lot more then I did. The first day in town I went with my dad to put in some bids for his Rock company. When we were finished there, we stopped by the Preacher's Ranch and I got to meet him and talk to him about Uncle Charlie. Then, we stopped by the Lake house and I was able to see the devastating remains of what was lost in the fire. It was very sad. I think it was a really good day for my dad though because he was able to find closure on Charlie's death.














This is Dad burring Charlie's dog, Baby. We found him in the back of the house on the bed next to the window.

We did find out that the cause of the fire was because of a propane gas leak, between the wall, on the back side of the house. The leak had caused the wall to fill up with the gas and Charlie most likely was standing next to it when the fire ignited. It is believed that he was killed instantly.

A neighbor was outside when she noticed smoke coming from the trailer. She saw both vehicles were there and knew Charlie was home. She ran over and smashed all the windows out of the front of the house hoping to help him escape, but he did not answer her and she didn't dare go in. She said the house was completely destroyed in less then 5 minutes.





Not much left. Is there?


Dad said he is going to take the rock over to his house and build a sidewalk by his pool. I guess he is going to scrap as much metal as possible too. Not sure what is going to happen to the land. Probably nothing for now. It is still in Trust from Grandpa so I'm not sure anyone really knows. I've heard talk about it going to AireAnna. That makes the most since to me.




This is a top view. There is absolutely NOTHING left.
I cleaned out Charlie's truck and found a ton of important documents though. What was he thinking to keep all the property deeds, car titles to both cars, and a few other important documents in the glove box? I found them tucked in the back of his owner's manual. Hmm. Why there?
I also found his extra set of keys... hanging inside the door of his gas tank. It came in very handy to have them because Barbra sure did accidentally pick the originals up and take them to work with her. She called and told dad once she got to work because she didn't want me to drive it. She also said that the insurance company called her when they "heard" what had happened because she was listed as next of kin. Whatever! Evidently they needed to let her know that only her and dad were authorized to drive the vehicle. Have you ever heard of such craziness? She was pretty upset when she saw we had moved the truck (spare keys, remember?) and then I was sure to mention I had called my own insurance company and got permission to drive it. She was pretty upset that she didn't get her way. UGGH! She is so selfish and greedy.

With it being as late as it is, I am going to go ahead and publish this post. I will add more to it or just start another post in the near future. My Easter post should be up in a few days as well.

14 comments:

Rachael said...

Sounds like it was a good thing you were there to help Dad.

I forgot about all the stone Dad had laid at the Lake house. I think it's a good idea for Dad to save it and reuse it in some way for sentimentality if not practicality!

Lori said...

It's nice to finally know what happened. I think it was good for dad that you were there.

I'm glad you got some pictures of the ruins, I wanted to go see it when I was there, but didn't get a chance.

Tina in CT said...

Who is Barbra? I'm trying to follow it all.

It's good that you had the visit with your father and were there to support and help him.

The three cousins looked darling in the dreses your mother made them for Easter. She sure is very talented and speedy.

Looking forward to meeting your mom today.

Natalie said...

Barbara is such a pain in the butt, It's not even like our family has money, what is she hoping she can steal next?

Lori said...

Tina,
Barbara is our dad's wife (our step-mom)

Shannon said...

Not sure Barbra even qualifies to be called "Step mom". She is just plain nasty.

Tina in CT said...

I somehow get the feeling that she's not a warm, fuzzy lady. Sure is different from the women in your family!

Tina in CT said...

Shannon,

Would you call your Grandma to see if her dog is a dachshund and if the stud was also a dachshund? I am really interested in having one of the puppies if so. I miss my dachshund so much that I lost almost two weeks ago and have been doing a lot of research to find another one. Thank you.

Tina

Tina in CT said...

Shannon,

Would you call your Grandma to see if her dog is a dachshund and if the stud was also a dachshund? I am really interested in having one of the puppies if so. I miss my dachshund so much that I lost almost two weeks ago and have been doing a lot of research to find another one. Thank you.

Tina

Natalie said...

Tina, your dog just died recently? So sorry.

Barbara is not our step-mom because Tom is not even our legal parent anymore.

Tina in CT said...

Natalie,

Check out my daughter's memorial blog to my dachshund. It was written on Sat., March 15. She is Moscowmom and her link is in Rachel's blogs on the right column. Her blog is American Girls in Moscow. My beloved dog went in to have her teeth cleaned on the 14th along with her yearly check-up and shots. She came out of the anesthesia fine and several hours later developed respiratory problems and had a cardiac arrest about two hours later. I miss her so much and want another smooth coat doxie right away - a mini or tweenie is fine and color is not important.

Thank you for your concern over my losing Streusel.

Good to hear that Barbara is not even your legal step mother.

Natalie said...

do you ever think about your blog? You should consider posting something new. What is your email address that you use frequently?

Tina in CT said...

Thanks for your note.

What a special gift that Madeline received from her Aunt. The AG Kit movie comes out on July 2nd. In fact, my daughter scheduled their trip to visit me earlier this summer so they'll be here for it. I think my daughter and I are just as excited as the girls to see it. They both have Kit so the dolls will be coming to the US for the movie premier.

Natalie said...

OK Sban, you need to blog already, its getting a LITTLE rediculous, you cant be THAT busy can you?