Sunday, February 10, 2008

MY MOTHER IS SO SMART

People often wonder how my mom was able to manage having so many kids, so close in age (9 years: oldest to youngest). In fact, some people might even think she was a bit crazy. I personally remember asking her the same question too. You know what she told me?
It was easy. You only cost $300.00 a piece.
Not exactly what I was wondering mom! I meant... Didn't we drive you crazy?



She says that from the time she was a little girl, she always wanted a bunch of kids. Not sure if she knew just how many or not, but from what I understand, the reason there are 6 is because she wanted each of us to grow up with a friend. If she stopped at me, I would have been lonely, so she had Lori. Then, came Francie. If she had stopped with her, Francie would be lonely and we wouldn't have Natalie.



You see, I'm kind of in a bind here as I only have one. Madeline, being an only child, dosen't have a built in friend, and for that, I am... CRAZY (or getting closer and closer every day). Siblings just know the boundries and usually work things out without too many battle wounds. Unfortunately, Madeline will never understand the bond of sisters or brothers (that she is close in age with).

I am so glad I am a product of such a smart woman. Maybe if Rachael hadn't taken so many of the 'smart' genes, I would have known better and had two. HA

I suppose I should be greatful for the next best option though. At least we only live 3 miles from my brother who has 4 children. Madeline loves her cousins and she is really close with them. It just dosen't help me when Madeline is at home and complains about being bored.

Disclosure notice: This post is not to be about me wanting more kids. It is me, venting about a very frustrating weekend of dealing with a bored, only-child. UGGH! Why? Oh, why?

7 comments:

Lori said...

I know, it does seem so much harder if you only have one kid. I guess I better plan smart.
BTW, what happened to your background?
Poor Madeline, it is kinda sad she doesn't have any siblings. Maybe you should get her a dog.

Rachael said...

I was gonna ask: what happened to your background? I'm guessing you don't know. Did you try to mess with it? If it's not back tomorrow, send me your password and I'll fix it for you.

Re: the only child. Well, I'm sorry you had a rough weekend, but in no way is 4 easier than 1. Don't try to build that case with me! lol. At least you don't have to break up fights, and you always know who's fault it is! :)

junglemama said...

It's good to vent. :) I understand.

Cecelia said...

Next time you have a rough weekend, let Madeline come and visit grandma. We always have a fun time together. And even if you're not having a rough weekend, I'd love to have her come. I have my sewing machine all set-up and I could teach Madeline how to sew. I bet she would love it. You know how she loves to knit with me.

Tina in CT said...

Here's a comment from an only child and had an only child (by choice). In fact, my daughter is the fifth generation of an only child in my father's family.

I had tons of friends and had friends in the neighborhood so there was always someone to play with. My mother worked full time heading up the cardio dept. at the hospital but still was THE ONLY mother that picked two of us up during lunchtime to drop us off at the lake in the summer (back in the days when it was safe to do that) and then pick us up after work. She was ALWAYS the mother to drive us anywhere.

I was the only grandchild until I was 14 as my aunt married when she was older so my two cousins were born when I was older. Because of this, I had lots of special time with them. My daughter grew up very close with her grandmother and spent lots of weekends at her house. You live close to your parents and brother so your daughter is very lucky to be able to see them a lot.

We always lived in a neighborhood with lots of girls my daughter's age and friends and I swapped girls often for the morning or afternoon. A day did not go by that my daughter was not playing with friends at our house or theirs.

My ex was a twin and one of 9 and he was very fine with having one as he did not have close relationships with his sibblings and moved away once he went off to college and the service. He wanted to be able to give his daughter what he could not have as they were extremely poor.

When you are an only child, you make very good friends, grow up to be a strong person and are independent.

My best friend is my college roommate. She had two brothers so never had a sister. We have a very close relationship.

Don't beat yourself about having an only. What is good for one is not always the same for others. What you want is what is important. Don't let people judge your decision. I used to get comments but it was our business and no one else's. Just make sure that your daughter gets together with friends on a regular basis. I don't know if you live in a neighborhood with girls her age or not. If not, arrange play time with her friends at each other's homes.

A pet (of any kind) would be good. We waited until my daughter was 15 to get a dog and we should have done it earlier but I have allergies. One day I decided to get one anyway as I had a crummy doctor. Guess what, the dachshund did not bother my allergies because they don't have fluffy hair that is shed a lot and I guess the dander did not bother me either.

Tina in CT said...

I just read your mother's comment. You are so lucky to have her so close by and it's so obvious how loving she is and how much joy her grandchildren bring into their lives.

Take her up on her offers. It'll make their bond even stronger and give your daughter so many childhood grandparent memories. And, you'll have a weekend for just you and your husband as an added benefit.

Shannon said...

Not sure what happenjed to the bakgrounjd. I almost emailed both Rachael and Lori to aske them. Guess they arn't sure eigther. hmmh.