Friday, December 7, 2007

Identity Crisis

So, now what? I just found out that I will not be able to finish this semester at school because of my shoulder injury. In order to go back to clinicals, I had to get a "no restriction" release from my Dr by today and my Dr. could not do that. When I left her office earlier this week, she had promised to call the director of the program I am in and explain that she can release me with a "limited restriction" but one that she felt I could do clinicals with.

Well, the director made it clear today when she called me at home. She would not let me into clinicals without a full medical release and she would not discuss the situation, my grades or any medical concerns over the phone with my Dr. I will bring in the full release or I will not complete this semester.

BTW: My shoulder injury happened a month ago and it is as good as it is going to get. I have almost 90% range of motion back and unless I elect to have surgery, it isn't going to get any better.

Guess I'm not a student any more. Now what.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Shannon, that doesn't make any sense. If it's not going to get any better, I'm confused why you can't do clinicals. What would they do if you had lost your arm? Sounds like discrimination against the disabled which I'm pretty sure is illegal. I think you need to have another talk with your school.

Lori said...

i agree with rach, there must be something you can do.
Dont give up without a fight.

junglemama said...

I'm sorry. That stinks!

But, I am glad to hear your shoulder is doing better.

BTW, we adopted Rachel from another family that originally adopted her from Ukraine. She joined our family on May 29, 2007, and became our daughter legally back on Nov. 9. If you wanted a quick summary about her you can click on Rachel as one of the tags and it will bring up all of the posts that are about her and explain everything.

Rachael said...

Hey, I keep waiting for an update...you need to either blog or call!

Lori said...

Hey I think it's time to update this post, now that your back in school and all.