Saturday, August 18, 2007

SURPRISE PACKAGE

We live across the street from the Post Office so naturally we opted for a PO Box vs. a mailbox. It is just easier to get the mail in a more timely manor rather then waiting on the mail carrier. The only draw back is that we are in such a small town (maybe 35 houses, small) that when the Post Office is closed, so is the lobby. Its fine Monday thru Friday, but I hate to miss the noon closing time on Saturday's because then I have to wait until Monday morning.

I ran across the street this morning before leaving for church. Amongst the regular weekend junk mail, I found a yellow slip that usually means there is something for me to pick up behind the counter. I couldn't imagine what would be too large for the box, because I wasn't expecting a package from anyone inparticular. It was kind of exciting.

The Postal worker traded me the yellow slip for a white envelope. It had my old address on it and nothing more; it didn't even have the city where it originated from stamped across the top like an envelope usually does. Humph!...

Did everyone get a chance to read the comment section from my post, titled "The Long Route"? My sister Lori made a comment about trying to pass the Canadian border without a drivers license, a birth certificate or a pass port. Well, here is why...

I didn't have a drivers license or anything else for that matter. The wallet you are looking at was left on the top of our car after leaving the Cracker Barrel in the Detroit area. OOPS! I was pre-occupied with Madeline being in a car seat again (MI requires more weight for children then NY). In efforts of strapping our 7 year old into a car seat, I mindlessly placed the wallet on top of the car and forgot about it. We found out soon enough though; say about 40 miles down the road and past the point-of-no-return for escaping Canadian (or was it American?) customs. What a mess. We never even left the country and couldn't get back in. Go figure.

Why are you traveling between two countries with 3 passengers and 1 drivers license? Where are you comming from? Where are you going? Registration? Why does the only licensed driver have a FL license if you all live in New York? All these silly questions. Didn't we just mention I LOST my wallet? Where were you born (California and Oklahoma)?

That was it for questions at the main gate. We had to pull over, leave the keys in the ignition, and go into the white building to our left. Did I mention what mess it was becoming? Comm'on now, do we not look American? Andy has on his Boston Red Sox hat, I have on the same hat (the pink version though), and Madeline is chill'in with her Walkman player half on/half off. (We are not native to NY, and I am only a Boston fan by default of my husband. He lived a good portion of his youth in New England states and has been a fan since he was really young. I guess it did look kinda weird though.)

So how come we didn't fill out a police report? DUH! If I had known I lost my wallet before we crossed the bridge, we wouldn't have gone this way. Duh! I JUST REALIZED that my wallet was somewhere in Detroit. So, Why didn't I fill out a police report? IDIOTS! Isn't it a given?

Well, I eventually filled out a police report once customs released us and we back tracked to Detroit. I figured it was a good idea since I had my MC/DEBIT card in there along with our checkbook. Not a whole lota cash: thank goodness.

The most upsetting part of this ordeal for me was that fact that it was my Coach wallet and I couldn't justify replacing it anytime soon... Looking back though, that should have been the least of my concerns. Have you ever tried to replace the contents of a wallet? It SUCKS!

Anyway, the package I received today was the wallet I had lost back in Detroit some 4 months ago. And yes, I got my Coach wallet back. Don't think I'll be using it again. Did you see it? It wont even stay snapped. I think I'll save it for a while though. It was a nice surprise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

was everything in there? Unfortunately it doesnt really matter because everything has probably been cancelled or replaced.

Rachael said...

Wow, I wonder who sent it to you, and why they didn't include a note.

Lori said...

That is surprising. I guess there are still good people out there who do nice things without expecting anything in return.

Francie said...

Is that the cute coach purse/wallet you showed us at Nat's wedding weekend? Wow, I didn't even know you lost it! That really sucks!
Hopefully, you'll find a super cute one to replace it.