Tuesday, August 14, 2007

THE LONG ROUTE

Besides Lori, did anyone notice the web address for my blog? Your probably looking right now arn't you? Well I think I should explain how I came up with that saying and why I use it as my lifes' motto. Lori suggested I use it in my title, but I kina like the title as it is. The web address makes for a good post though.
When Andy and I moved to Florida in 2002, I was kinda nervous because neigther one of us knew anyone in the area. Plus, while we were there looking for the house we finally bought, I was too loopey to pay attention to my whereaouts. I had just had surgery on my shoulder and was under the influence with pain pills. So, paying attention to roads or landmarks was not on my priority list. All I knew was that our house was close to the beach and if I wanted to leave the neighborhood, I had to cross what Madeline called "The WEE Bridge".
We arrived in Fl on a Monday morning and it took most of the day to close on the house. Again, my whereabouts was not a priority. Then, two of my best friends along with Natalie (my sister) drove from TN to help me settle in. Andy still had unfinished business in TN he needed to get back to and after the four days it took to unload the truck, he headed back. I wasnt nervous about where I was yet because my friends or Natalie always drove. And, once my friends left, my mother flew in. It was all good! Until...
I was home alone in a strange land and the only person I knew, I had met at the beach with the pick-up line that goes something like... "So, are you on vacation or do you live here?". It worked well and my friend from the beach and I are still good friends. Not to get distracted from the story though, maybe I'll post about that story another day.
Anyway, I was finally home alone. (Madeline, and our dog Molly were there too, but that dosent count). I could'nt wait to start motoring. I ventured out to the mall, but didnt take into account that there might be one way roads involved, detours, and train tracks instead of interstate entrances. It took me a while to get home that evening, but I made it and I was more confident to get out again the next day. Some of you may be wondering why I didnt just get a map. Well my only problem with maps is that if I'm lost, a map does me absolutely no good. How are you supposed to locate your spot on the map if you dont know where you are? I figured out the area pretty well in record time though. There was bay water to the east, the Sunshine Skyway to the south, Franklin bridge to the north and Gulf waters on the west. How can anyone get "lost" once they figure that out? If you hit water, turn around. ha.
Okay, so by now it had been a while since we had lived in the area. Andy was driving and he seemed to be turned around. I confidently told him that I knew exactly where we were and he needed to turn right at the light and the freeway would be about 5 miles up. I could tell he wasnt convinced, so I confirmed I knew where we were by mentioning the only old fashioned McDonald's we would see if he would just trust me. Sure enough, I was right and it felt good. He asked me how in the heck I knew where we were when it was so far from home. Ah... I said "Honey, I dont get lost anymore... I just take the long route!".
There ya have it. The story behind the saying. And, it applies to more then just driving directions for me too. I'm sure for all of you who know me, know exactly what I mean. I tend to find my way alot by the trial and error technique.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

That's funny. I thought you made the title based on the fact that you're finally going to nursing school at 30+ years old...takin' the long route.

I didn't even think about how you always get lost, I mean, take the long way to get places! ;>

Lori said...

I still remember when you came to visit us a couple years ago and it took you an aditional 5 or so hours.
And then just this summer when you went home after Natalie's wedding you left my house at 10 am and should have been home by 6pm, but didn't quite make it until midnight.
Regardless of wether it's getting lost, stopping for entertainment breaks, leaving your wallet at the gas station, or trying to cross the border into Canada without a drivers license, passport or birth certificate, you sure do take the long route.
Makes for good stories though.

Francie said...

I love this story and never heard it before! I'm glad you shared it...
And you know, on the positive side, while it may be the long route, you still get there. Remember that...
And I bet you get to see more on the way, too!
Write more. I've been checking your blog all day waiting for more stories...

Shannon said...

Francie,
Thats so wierd that you mentioned "I see alot more along the way" because I usually add that to the whole phrase. I just didnt mention it in my post. Isn't that an awsome life motto? I dint even think much of it when I said it... It was Andy who brought the profoundness to my attention.