Monday, September 21, 2009

UPDATES

Lots going on since my last stupid post. Sorry bout leaving that there for so long.

Madeline started school at the beginning of the month and she absolutely loves it! She did not go back to the small private school she has been going to since she started school at age 5. As most of you all know, she has struggled academically. Especially, with her reading and math skills. Plus she has been receiving special services from the public school district including OT and PT. With her going into 3rd grade, I was worried that she needed more intense intervention and her father and I decided to place her in public school for the year where she would have more services readily available. So far, we are thrilled with that decision.

She was placed in a "non-graded" age/grade appropriate classroom that focuses intensely on reading and math. There are 8 3rd, 4th and 5th grade age students in her class as well as a special education teacher, a teachers aid and a one-on-one assistant. That is 3 full time staff in her class for 8 students and on top of that, she is getting OT, PT, and speech. She absolutely loves it and she comes home and does her homework willingly. she is already able to independently read at a first grade level. That is amazing.

Today she had to wear her bathing suit under her clothes because for the next two weeks she will be swimming for PE and APE (adaptive physical education). She is really excited about all the different things that she gets to do.

Oh, and just so no one misunderstands my position on the "school" issues... I still support Christian Education. Madeline just needed extra services that our small school was not able to provide right now.

And now, an update on... ME.

Andy and I are in the process of a divorce. It may seem sad, but really it is the best decision. Believe-you-me, it is not because we didn't try. We certainly did. It is a bit weird though because we are not fighting over anything and we still get along. This whole issue really deserves a post of its own so, I wont go into much detail.

I got a part time job doing local flu clinics for the next few months. On top of my other job, it is just one or two days a week in the afternoon/evenings and I signed up to do clinics that are local to us. It may even go into next year because the N1H1* is out this year too and that wont start for a few more weeks.

A year ago, I applied at the VA and they finally called me back. FINALLY!!!!! It is so hard to get in with them. The benifits are amazing and the $$ is much better then average salary in this area. The only problem is if I get/accept the position, then I am commiting to being a grown-up. Of course I will accept it if it is offered, it is just really scarry for me. Go figure.

Enough for now though. Maybe your comments will encourage me to post more and not be such a slacker in the blog world.

9 comments:

Rachael said...

Yes, Shan, it was time to let the MJ post get bumped down! ha.

It's great that Madeline is doing so well in her new school!

Good luck on the job! That would be fantastic! I hope it all works out. I thought maybe you'd look into moving to Michigan - but probably since Maddie's doing so well in school, maybe it's not the best time? We have special ed and good public schools too!

Francie said...

Thanks for blogging! I haven't heard from you in a long time! Thanks for the updates! I'm so glad Maddie likes her new school!!!

Natalie said...

so glad Maddy is doing better. It's good to hear she likes school, she has never been too thrilled about it before. glad that you and Andy have come to pleasant terms! And it's hard to make something work when both parties are not equally participating. I am terrible about blogging too. it's hard to keep up with.

Tina in CT said...

I'll send you an email this week.

Lori said...

Thanks for the update, I hope it all works out well. Of course just when I get my business going and will need you, you'll be all situated with a good job in NY and wont want to come.
Andy and you hardly see each other so I can't imagine a divorce will have a huge impact on Madeline so long as he still comes to visit her like he has been.

Natalie said...

this is your reminder to blog

Anonymous said...

Hi All: I have been contacted by an account manager of forex trading company iForex and I was suggested that if would join their team I can earn around $1000 per month. Can someone please guide how these sites are reliable and what about the FOREX trading business and how this compnay (iFOREX) is also relaible if anybody knows it personaly or earning anything from it.
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://izam.kedahan.net/v4/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=37&page=view&catid=2&key=14]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I approve of with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is quiet a definitely as you did in the decrease delivery of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=creative zen x-fi2 32gb review ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you procure not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of development of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg

junglemama said...

How are you doing?