Saturday, March 7, 2009

COOPER

With sadness, I gave the consent for Cooper to be cremated this morning. Madeline and I were just leaving the house for church when the phone rang. Madeline answered and it was the Humane society calling. She was super excited to tell me who it was and that they probably found our dog. Well they did but it was not what we expected.

One year ago yesterday was the day we brought our fox hound home from the shelter. Madeline did not understand why he did not have a "birthday" so she planned to have a party for him on his one year anniversary date. (She has me read my sisters blog to her and when she realized what "Gotcha-Day" was, she decided that thats what we would celebrate in place of a birthday). Madeline was so excited. We went shopping the day before and she bought him presents, a meaty bone, and a boquet of balloons. Some of her friends from school even made cards for Cooper.

Well, somehow, while we were at the neighbors house, cooper escaped out of their fenced yard. We still cant figure out how, but he did. We went looking for him but without luck. The next morning (Gotcha-Day) I called the Humane society to see if he had been picked up and if not, to let them know we were missing our beloved dog.

Well, he made it to the one year mark. No party though. He was hit and killed by a car last night not even 1/2 mile from our house and we never even saw him. It breakes my heart because we loved him so much.

I had Madeline go to a friends house this morning so I could go identify him. I hope she handles this better them I am or I might have a major melt down. I'm sure going to miss him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your dog, but u could always get a new one eventually. I was excited to see u post but sad to hear what u had to say. Good Luck.

Tina in CT said...

Oh, I am so, so sorry about Cooper. How horrible for him and you both. It's tragic how he escaped out of the fenced yard and that you couldn't find him. Poor Madeline with all she had prepared for his party too. I know how you feel with losing your beloved dog as it will be a year on the 13th that I said goodbye to Streusel at the vet's when I left her for her dental cleaning and she never made it. I can feel your sorrow over Cooper.

Rachael said...

Oh, that horrible, Shannon. So sorry.

Natalie said...

Poor Madeline. That is so sad she remembered his "birthday" and then he never made it to his party. that just makes it sadder than it already has to be!

Francie said...

Oh, that's just so sad, Shan! Sorry!!!

Lori said...

That is really sad, poor you and Maddie. I hope she (and you) handles it okay.
Such a sad way to get you back to blogging too.
Why does our family have such bad luck with animals, seems like we rarely have a dog in the family die of old age, it's always some tragedy.